I got inspired to cook this after watching a 30 minute meal by Jamie Oliver. He’s always so bold about food. Tossing the freshest ingredients in a pan and just enjoying what mother nature has to give. I like that.
The Cyprian chicken is stuffed with Mediterrean specialties like feta cheese, basil and dried tomatoes.
Here is my clean eating version of his Chicken and Asparagus recipe.
Ingredients (to serve 4 people):
- 4 medium chicken breasts (no skin, no bone)
- 100 g feta cheese
- 6 dried tomatoes
- one handful basil and/or parsley
- one package green asparagus (about 500 g)
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups couscous
- two gloves garlic
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp rosemary and thyme each
- 2 tbsp olive oil or other healthy vegetable oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- one sheet of backing paper
1. Wash chicken breasts and dry with paper towels. Cut a pocket into each chicken breast carefully, so that you can add some stuffing later.
2. On a chopping board chop the herbs, dried tomatoes and the feta cheese and mix with your hands. Add some pepper (no salt as the feta cheese is salty). This is the stuffing for the Cyprian Chicken. Now take a spoon and stuff the pockets in the chicken breasts with this mixture.
4. Heat the one tbsp of the oil in a pan. Roast the chicken breast on one side for about 4 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts. Add a pinch of salt on the chicken. Now prepare a cover using baking paper. Fold in half twice and cut around the open side in a quarter circle. Unfold. Now you should have a circular piece of baking paper. Wet it under the faucet and place on top of your pan. This will keep your chicken from getting dry. Reduce to medium heat.
5. Take a second pan and heat one tbsp oil. Wash your cherry tomatoes and put them in the pan. Crush the garlic gloves and add to the pan. Now take one green asparagus and hold on with your hands on the top of each side. Bend it where it breaks get rid of the lower part (this is the stringy part). Chop the remaining asparagus at the same height. Put it into the pan with the tomatoes and saute. Pull the tomatoes to the top and let sit on medium heat.
6. Prepare two cups of hot water and pour in the pan with the vegetables. Add the couscous. Let soak for three minutes. Add salt and pepper as well as rosemary and thyme to taste.
7. Serve and enjoy your healthy clean eating meal.
Preparation time: all in all 30 minutes.
Asparagus is in season! Do you like green asparagus? Have you cooked something with asparagus yet? What do you think about this recipe? Share away!