Today I prepared one of my most favorite dishes for lunch. It’s a red lentil dal with some delicious Indian flavors and coconut milk. What’s not to like about that? Now I want to share the recipe with you.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 500 g red lentils
- two cans diced tomatoes
- one can coconut milk
- 4 spring onions
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- about a thumbs length of ginger
- 1 tsp cumin, turmeric and curry each
- 600 ml vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain low fat yogurt and chopped parsley to serve
1. Heat the oil in a big pot. Chop the spring onions, garlic and ginger and add to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and add the tomato paste and then the lentils. Stir occasionally for about three minutes.
2. In the mean time prepare the vegetable broth and add to the pot. Put on a lid and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally so that the lentils won’t burn. If necessary, like when the lentils soaked all the broth, add more broth.
3. Add the canned tomatoes and the spices. Let simmer for a few more minutes until the lentils are soft enough to eat (Just try a spoon-full). Add the coconut milk and stir under.
4. Add pepper and maybe salt to taste.
5. One serving corresponds to two scoops of the lentil dal. Serve with plain yogurt and chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Cooking and preparation time: about 45 minutes.
Do you like foreign cuisine like the flavors of the orient or the spicy Thai kitchen? I certainly do!